RECIPE(S): Overnight Oats-turned-smoothie, French Toast and Pancakes

Hiya internet friends! 
It would seem that Winter has appeared overnight. Seriously, when did it get so cold? I think we had almost a whole week and a half of Autumn there, classic Britain, and now it's positively freezing. So wrap up warm kids, and start your day off with one of these scrumptious (and healthy) (well, 2 out of 3) breakfasts!

BREKKIE NUMBER ONE.
So. Overnight oats, They're pretty great. Usually. Something just went wrong, I think I added too much milk, they were too sloppy and the flavour combo just wasn't working. It's safe to say it was an upsetting morning. UNTIL, I had the genius plan of transforming this soggy, fruity, oaty concoction (sounds appealing, I know) into a smoothie. And it was DELICIOUS.
Fab colour, am I right?!
This is a pretty free recipe, throw in whatever you fancy! But here's what I used (roughly, this was actually a while ago, shhhh).

Ingredients (makes one smoothie):
  • 5 tbsp porridge oats
  • 200ml almond milk
  • 3 tbsp low fat vanilla yoghurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • half a ripe banana
  • handful frozen berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
Method:
  1. If you feel so inclined (maybe you have a lot of time on your hands, I'm not judging) you can go on the long-winded route of putting all ingredients into a bowl (having mashed the banana), covering with clingfilm and popping it in the fridge overnight. I mean, hey, maybe yours will actually turn out as delish overnight oats - my original intention.
  2. Alternatively, whack it all into a blender and blend away my friend.
Anywho, there you have it, breakfast smoothie for one :)

BREKKIE NUMBER TWO.
Ok, so I can't really take credit for this one. My fantabulous friends came round to make me brunch recently, to cheer up the poor cripple with a broken foot (me). Actually, they can't really take credit for this either. It's not like they invented french toast...
Maple syrup makes everything better.
For anyone who doesn't know what I'm harping on about, I believe french toast is also known as eggy bread (makes sense). And tbh, anyone who doesn't know how to make it already, just what have you been doing with your life up to now?!

Ingredients:
  • sliced bread (slightly stale is actually best) (however many slices you want)
  • eggs (again, quantity depends on how much bread - helpful, I know)
  • a dash of milk
  • vanilla extract
  • cinnamon (optional - I personally hate the stuff)
  • icing sugar
  • maple syrup
  • assorted fruit (we had strawbs and bluebs, pictured above)
Method:
  1. Whisk your eggs, add the milk, and transfer to a shallow dish.
  2. Add vanilla (and/or cinnamon).
  3. Heat up a frying pan with a little bit of butter/oil on the hob.
  4. Soak each piece of bread in the egg mixture, turning it over so both sides absorb as much as poss.
  5. Transfer the soaked bread slices into the frying pan.
  6. Flip it over every now and then, until crispy and golden.
  7. Serve on a plate, with icing sugar sprinkled on top, then top with berries and drown in maple syrup.
Bon appétit !

BREKKIE NUMBER THREE.
Ahh pancakes, a personal fave. But then again, who on earth doesn't love a good pancake? Odd people, that's who. And guuuuuys, these are like totes healthy! Ok, except for the chocolate chips. And the maple syrup.
Strawberries and blueberries again. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT. (Except it actually is, no jokes.)
That's not important though, what is important is how scrummy these are, and these bad boys fill you up nicely! So just whip these up and then you can leave the house pretty much ready to conquer the world. Like, the whole world. Truth

Ingredients (makes about 7 small pancakes):
  • 100g wholemeal flour (regular plain flour is fine too!)
  • 1 egg
  • 150ml semi-skimmed milk (or whatever milk you've got lying about)
  • 40g chocolate chips
  • fruit to top (I went for strawberries and blueberries, quelle surprise)
  • maple syrup
Method:
  1. Seive the flour into a mixing bowl.
  2. Make a well in the middle of the flour.
  3. Crack the egg into the well (I do not understand the reason for this).
  4. Add 50ml of the milk.
  5. Mix it all up real good.
  6. Add the rest of the milk and the choc chips.
  7. Mix again, until all combined, leaving you with a beaut pancake batter.
  8. Wipe a frying pan with a little bit of oil and warm it up on the hob.
  9. Turn the heat down slightly and add your pancake mixture in spoonfuls (use a serving spoon or ladle).
  10. Cook on both sides until nice and, well, we all know what pancakes are meant to look like, right? Ok good.
  11. I like to stack them up on a plate so I feel like I'm in an American diner, but serve whatever which way with tonnes of fruit and syrup. YUM.
It's 11:19pm and now I'm really craving all these breakfasts. Cracking.
Anyway, time for bed, some of us have a 9am Portuguese Language seminar tomorrow you know!
Over and out x

Comments

  1. woo go hollybee!! great blog! WE WANT MORE :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha thanks Ella! I've done a few other posts if ya fancy a read :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where to Eat in Madrid: Part 1

Where to Eat in Madrid: Part 2

RECIPE: Quick And Easy Revision-Fuel Cookies